Subject: USB Device Probe Errors (was Re: windows drivers on netbsd? )
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Gary Duzan <gary@duzan.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/07/2003 20:46:43
In Message <200311071733.MAA21895@Sparkle.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> ,
   der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> wrote:

=>> What USB devices are interesting to support using this method?
=>
=>Well, I have a USB device that is supposed to be a PlayStation
=>controller interface.  But when I plug it into my machine, the USB code
=>gets upset:
=>
=>Nov  7 12:30:13 Truly-Delicious /netbsd: usbd_new_device: addr=2, getting full desc failed
=>Nov  7 12:30:13 Truly-Delicious /netbsd: uhub_explore: usb_new_device failed, error=IOERROR
=>Nov  7 12:30:13 Truly-Delicious /netbsd: uhub0: device problem, disabling port 2
=>
=>I dug into the code and concluded that this meant it didn't follow the
=>spec, meaning there's little hope of making it work without the
=>provided (Windows-only, of course) driver.

   I have a USB Mouse from IBM that does the same thing fairly
often, but if I unplug it and plug it back in enough times it will
eventually come up and work normally. I can tell when it is going
to work from the light on the center wheel. I did a little poking
around with it a while back trying to figure out if I could get it
probed reliably, but didn't turn up anything. If anyone has ideas
on things to try, I can give them a shot.

					Gary Duzan