Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/sys/dev/pci
To: TAMURA Kent <kent2003@hauN.org>
From: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/06/2003 06:47:10
On Thursday 06 November 2003 05:56 am, TAMURA Kent wrote:
> In message "Re: CVS commit: src/sys/dev/pci"
>
>     on 03/11/03, Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se> writes:
> > > With such boards, the result of auich_calibrate() was not stable.
> >
> > But how unstable? I haven't noticed any real problem. Currently I have
> > an error of less than 0.02%.
>
> I had an error of less than 100Hz.
>
> The auich_calibrate() seems to return a higher rate for a higher
> clock CPU/bus board.  With a Pentium 4 2.8GHz machine, it
> reutrns about 49500Hz though the actual rate is 48000Hz.
> Actually rounding off to the nearest 1000 is not sufficient.
>
> I'd like to know
>  - whether the current code is sufficient, and
>  - examples of overclocked rate.

Actually, the code seems very sketchy.  On my laptop, when I'm off-AC and the
CPU is running at half speed, it measures the AC97 clock at 24KHz -- which is
clearly wrong, since it adjusts to 48KHz and plays fine.  Furthermore, the
rate that it "measures" depends on the current setting of the codec at boot
time.