Subject: Re: windows drivers on netbsd?
To: Perry E.Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/05/2003 21:50:52

> > possibly i'm not well informed but network support in NetBSD is excellent
> > and very little hardware is unsupported now,
>
> That's not really true. I can name a half dozen devices I'd like to
> run but cannot, including USB 802.11 interfaces.

that's true. is it because there's no hardware documentation available or
just no one wrote them?

if second - better to get time writing it instead of writing emulation
layer.

if first - looks like manufacturers are not interested in NetBSD users...

(WET-11's are damn cheap now.... about 70$ in Poland and connects through
10baseT ethernet - up to 300 metres of cable from computer/switch to
radioport).

> There is also always a myriad of other kinds of new hardware that we
> don't support yet.

having a possiblilty of running windrivers will slow down development...

> > So better not waste a time to allow windoze drivers to almost-run
>
> Our Linux emulation is good enough for production use -- there is no
> reason to assume a priori that we would not have things run perfectly
> well.

but not drivers...(fortunately)