Subject: Re: Driver for Enhanced SpeedStep
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/05/2003 08:12:57
On Wednesday, November 5, 2003, at 06:55  AM, Noriyuki Soda wrote:

> 	Frank van der Linden <fvdl@NetBSD.org> said:
>
>> Cool, thanks for doing this. I'm not sure that sysctl is the right
>> interface to this;
>
> I like a device file instead of sysctl for this kind of things
> (including power control).
> Because one can use chown/chmod to control the permission of
> the operations (especially by /etc/ttyaction).

The sysmon_power (which uses a device file) is what I envisioned this
sort of thing hooking into.  In addition to power-related events, I see
power consumption policy being set through this interface, as well (it
is simply not yet implemented).

With the right abstraction in front of it, EST and LongRun could both
be supported through the same interface, I think.