Subject: Re: Best optimization (cpuflags) with gcc-3.3.2 + Pentium 3?
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Steve Rumble <rumble@ephemeral.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/02/2003 16:24:44
On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 11:27:57PM -0800, Andrew Gillham wrote:
> What optimizer flags are people using successfully with -current?
> Specifically I'm interested in flags for a Pentium III 1Ghz that
> are known good with pretty much everything.
>
> I guess I'm interesting in what people are doing besides the cpuflags
> recommendation of '-march=pentium3' and how your settings perform.

For userland I can build with -march=pentium2 -O2. -O3 and
-march=pentium3 fail fairly quickly. Several weeks ago I tried -O3
or -march=pentium3 and while they failed as well, from what I
recall they got pretty far.

For the kernel I use -march=pentium3 -O3. That works fine.

This is on a P3-1.2.

Cheers,
Steve