Subject: problem with new bootblock from CF on soekris
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/01/2003 09:41:46
Hi-

I'm trying to use very recent bootblocks (from 3-4 days ago) to boot
a soekris 4521 from compact flash.  I *did* have this machine
booting successfully from flash circa 1.6P, but with the install I
did yesterday, I get:

 1 Seconds to automatic boot.   Press Ctrl-P for entering Monitor.

NetBSD/i386 ffsv1 Primary Bootstrap
Boot failed: Can't open /boot.

No Boot device available, enter monitor.

Now, looking over the soekris mailing lists showed me that some people
have trouble booting from some CF devices because of some problem with
reading more than one sector at a time using BIOS calls on certain
flash devices;  apparently at least FreeBSD has patched their bootloader
to read one sector at a time.  Is there any chance that this is what
I'm seeing?  It doesn't seem likely, because I had it booting from
the older bootblocks, but I don't really know what's changed.
If it *is* the problem, can anyone give me a clue as to what to
patch to do single-sector reads?

The other possibility is that I biffed the new bootblock install
procedure.  Here's what I did:

- copied /usr/mdec/boot to /dev/wd0a (the filesystem on /dev/wd0a, that is)
- installboot -v /dev/rwd0a /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1
- reboot

...perhaps *that* is where I fell down.

Clues appreciated,

+j