Subject: Re: APM and laptops
To: None <nightshade@phreaker.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/08/2003 08:56:29
In message <E1A7AU7-0001ZC-00@avocet.mail.pas.earthlink.net>, Nicholas Ricketts
 writes:

>I was wondering if there is a way to disable the apm functions on a latop
>lid. When I close my lid I want nothing to happned. But it always goes to
>sleep. I already tried putting in the APM_NO_STANDBY in kernel and still
>would go to sleep when I closed the lid. Any ideas?

Check your BIOS -- that's the way I accomplished the same goal on my
Thinkpad T21.

Beyond that, I *think* that the acpi support in -current can be
persuaded to do what you want, at least in principle.  But I don't run
-current on my laptop, so I haven't played with that.  (acpi does evil
things on my -current desktop.)