Subject: Re: RAID controller support, and/or RAIDFrame
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/08/2003 00:42:17
On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 04:17:11PM +0200, Olaf Seibert wrote:
  | I am looking at building a system with a RAID disk system. One
  | suggestion that was made to me by our hardware guys was the Adaptec
  | 2110S raid controller. Unfortunately it does not seem to be supported by
  | NetBSD (but it is by FreeBSD (but their SCSI drivers are probably hard
  | to port over to NetBSD due to CAM)).

This should be supported by the aac(4) driver in NetBSD-current.

  | Are there any other current RAID controllers that we could use?
  | Apparently the ones that NetBSD does support are out of date.

There's a bunch of hardware RAID cards that NetBSD supports in
NetBSD-current, and most of these are probably in NetBSD-1.6 as well:
	* 3Ware 6x00 parallel ATA
	* 3Ware 750x parallel ATA (current card)
	* 3Ware 850x serial ATA  (current card - fast too!)
	* Adaptec 2400A parallel ATA
	* Adaptec 2100S/3200S/34x0S SCSI
	* ICP (was Intel for a while, now Adaptec) "Vortex" cards,
	  include SRCS31U SCSI and SRCS14L serial ATA
	* LSI (formerly AMI) MegaRAID

Not sure about:
	* Adaptec 2410A serial ATA (haven't seen this

I have a bunch of these for testing, and at the moment I really like
the 3Ware 8506-8, although an 8506-4 would suffice for my production needs.

  | How does their performance and stability compare to RAIDframe? I seem to
  | read conflicting reports about the latter's stability.

I personally find good hardware RAID cards easier to setup and use
compared to software RAID solutions.  Their performance is often
better as well.  YMMV.

Luke.