Subject: Re: RAID controller support, and/or RAIDFrame
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/07/2003 10:49:34
On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 04:17:11PM +0200, Olaf Seibert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking at building a system with a RAID disk system. One
> suggestion that was made to me by our hardware guys was the Adaptec
> 2110S raid controller. Unfortunately it does not seem to be supported by
> NetBSD (but it is by FreeBSD (but their SCSI drivers are probably hard
> to port over to NetBSD due to CAM)).
>
> Are there any other current RAID controllers that we could use?
> Apparently the ones that NetBSD does support are out of date.

"If you say so".  NetBSD supports the current Adaptec, Mylex, Intel, and
LSI MegaRAID controllers, as well as several past generations of each, and
anything that supports I2O.  What controller is it that you want to use
that is not supported?

It sounds to me like your "hardware guys" are feeding you bogus
information.  FWIW I've heard contradictory things about the performance
of the 2110, but we have a 2200 in cvs.netbsd.org and I have been very
favorably impressed with its performance so far.

I see little point to spending money on a hardware RAID controller that
does not include battery-backed cache, FWIW.  Eliminating synchronous
writes is one of the major advantages of such controllers.

Thor