Subject: Adaptec 7902 U320 and/or Intel 82541 Ethernet help
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael Hanulec <hanulec@hanulec.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/05/2003 00:05:49
hi..

i'm trying to get NetBSD current installed onto two SuperMicro based
systems.  the first system is ide based (X5DPA-GG) with two Intel 82541
Gigabit ethernet controllers.  i have gotten the second nic to work by
hacking the pci table in sys/dev/pci/pcidevs.h for the 82540EP_LP or
82546EB to use 0x8086 0x1013.  the first nic, wm0, is showing a mac
address of ff:ff:ff:ff and the system some times files to come up as
ifmedia_set panics.

the second system is scsi based (X5DP8-G2) which includes not only a pair
of the Intel 82541 nics and an Adaptec 7902 scsi controller.  currently
netbsd-current (from 9/27 or 1.6ZC) won't allow me to even attempt to
install on this server.  upon the running of the second boot disk the
system begins to come up but dies when waiting two seconds for the scsi
bus to reset.  the 1.6.1 release cannot see any of the disks in the system
(as others have reported recently).

can anyone on the mailing list suggest some paths for me to take on these
two problems.  i do know that Network Storage Solution's SPANStor NAS
software supports both of these onboard devices (i've actually seen them
working on the X5DP8-G2).  i've followed the past thread in April which
included Pascal from nssolution made me believe this Adaptec code was
being merged into the NetBSD source tree.  i would really appreciate any
type of assistance on this problem.

thanks in advance!!

-mike

--