Subject: Re: your mail
To: Brian Stark <bpstark@pacbell.net>
From: None <cube@cubidou.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/25/2003 08:52:56
On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 11:20:34PM -0700, Brian Stark wrote:
> Quentin Garnier wrote:
>
> >> vga1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: Nvidia Corporation GeForce4 MX 420 (rev.
> >> 0xa3)
>
> > But you don't have things like Xvideo support.
[...]
> Huh? I not an expert on the X Window System, but a quick check of the
> output from xdpyinfo shows the following:
[...]
> Both XVideo and GLX are present. I can do things like watch DVDs and
> use the GL-based screen savers in XScreensaver.  I'm aware that the
> card I have is not Nvidia's top-of-the-line model, but for my rather
> (simple?) needs, it works just fine. :-) I imagine that if I was into

I meant "hardware accelerated support".

xpdyinfo only tells you what is loaded, meaning what has *a chance* to
be supported.

xvinfo and glxinfo will tell you more. (Well, glxinfo output might not
make clear it is software-rendered.)

> computer games or did a lot of work with graphics, I could find a card
> that is better suited, but I'm happy with what I have. I think the

I worked on the NVidia driver to get Xvideo support, otherwise scaling
the image on the TV-out consumed too much CPU.

> point of this is that people should keep in mind that there are
> different video cards suited for different purposes.  I can't comment
> on the the ATI cards because I haven't used any with NetBSD/XFree86. But
> based on my experience with my Nvidia card, I wouldn't automatically
> ignore other cards from that manufacturer.

The vesa driver is enough for any basic usage, but sometimes you need
more.

Quentin Garnier.