Subject: Re: your mail
To: Brian Stark <bpstark@pacbell.net>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd-port-i386@quatriemek.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/24/2003 06:07:14
Le Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:28:50 -0700 (PDT)
Brian Stark a ecrit :
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Sean Davis wrote:
>
> > >   I am looking for some suggestions on motherboard (Asus ...),
> > >   graphics controller (Nvidia ... - I intend to run X) and a
> > >   wireless adapter.
> >
> > Well, I would avoid at all costs NVidia video cards. The ATI Radeons
> > are just as good if not better at most things, and also have much
> > better driver support. True NVidia support requires running current
> > with some hacked in binary driver from FreeBSD that is not without
> > side-effects (I've tested it)
[...]
> FWIW, I have not had problems with my Nvidia card (or XFree86), and have
> been rather happy with it.
[...]
> vga1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: Nvidia Corporation GeForce4 MX 420 (rev.
> 0xa3)

But you don't have things like Xvideo support.

Sean is right on this, and if possible I avoid NVidia myself. Though for
everyday use, my port of the binary driver has proven quite stable. As
long as I don't do OpenGL...

Anyway, these days ATI are following NVidia steps with half-binary support
for high-end business. But they seem to do a better job at supporting the
community for things like 2D acceleration.

Still, I have an ATI at work I can't use anything but vesa driver with.

"Feels like I'm fiddling while Rome is burning down.
Should I lay my fiddle down and take a rifle from the ground ?"
Leigh Nash/Sixpence None The Richer, Paralyzed, Divine Discontents, 2002.