Subject: VIA Rhine problems
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Arto Huusko <armihu@utu.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/23/2003 22:15:50
Hi,

I have a MSI KT4V mother board, and I've been using the integrated
VIA Rhine (vr) NIC with it. I haven't had any problems with it, until
I just recently upgraded BIOS on the mother board (1.6 to 1.9).

As a result, vr no longer works with NetBSD-current (1.6T from early June).
It worked fine on Win98, and on XP it works (but the first boot doesn't
find it, go figure).

At first glance the NIC seems to work (it attaches, it negotiates OK
with the switch, it transmits pings etc.) but with a bit of load I
start getting these on the console:

vr0: transmit aborted
vr0: restarting

and at that I see the link light go out and come back up in a few seconds.
I can't do pretty much anything else than send pings, i.e. opening ssh
connection to machine on local network won't work.

So does anyone have any idea what is wrong, and might this have been
fixed (well I'm anyway compiling new -current ATM, and I'll test it
over the weekend).