Subject: Re: Slow Xeon Performance
To: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
From: Bryan Vyhmeister <bsd@hub3.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/31/2003 01:51:59
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 01:16:10AM -0700, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:
> > Thank you for reminding me. I forgot to go check that setting. The
Cache
> > setting in the BIOS had the following options: Disabled, Write-Thru,
> > Write-Back, and Reserved. It was on Write-Thru. I just changed it to
> > Reserved and it is suddenly noticeably faster. I ran heapsort just
to be
> > sure and here is the output:
>
> Is it really a good idea to set it to a reserved setting? FWIW,
> according to the manual
> <http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/Manuals/MB/GC-SL/X5SS8-E_1.0a.pdf>,
> the default is Write-Back, and is the fastest setting. It doesn't say
> anything about Reserved (other than that it's one of the choices), but
> I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to set it to that :)

Thank you. I should have looked that up myself. Now that I think about
it, "Reserved" must be an additional menu option for future expansion.
It probably sets it to Write-Back anyway but it should not be set to
that. You are right. The heapsort values are almost identical using
Reserved or Write-Back. Anyway, thank you again.

Bryan