Subject: Re: Slow Xeon Performance
To: Bryan Vyhmeister <bsd@hub3.net>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/31/2003 03:32:43
On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 01:16:10AM -0700, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:
> Thank you for reminding me. I forgot to go check that setting. The Cache
> setting in the BIOS had the following options: Disabled, Write-Thru,
> Write-Back, and Reserved. It was on Write-Thru. I just changed it to
> Reserved and it is suddenly noticeably faster. I ran heapsort just to be
> sure and here is the output:

Is it really a good idea to set it to a reserved setting? FWIW,
according to the manual
<http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/Manuals/MB/GC-SL/X5SS8-E_1.0a.pdf>,
the default is Write-Back, and is the fastest setting. It doesn't say
anything about Reserved (other than that it's one of the choices), but
I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to set it to that :)