Subject: Exec Format error. Wrong Architecture / After doing a nativ i386
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Oliver Egginger <Oliver.Egginger@dvz.fh-giessen.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/22/2003 16:24:14
Hello,

I'am completly new to NetBSD.
I used a bootable iso image (downloaded from the NetBSD side) to install
NetBSD 1.6.1 on a pentium4 system. Also I found a security hint about a
vulnerability in conjunction with realpath on the NetBSD side, thus I
want to update my libc. For doing this I downloaded the complete source
distribution from the NetBSD CVS tree and stored is under /usr/src.
I had some problems with the Makefile but I found a script,
namely build.sh, which works fine for a newbie like me.

I  created a /etc/mk.conf file with the following entries:
BSDOBJDIR=/pub/release/obj
MKOBJ=YES
OBJMACHINE=YES

Then I executed:
cd /usr/src
/usr/src/build.sh -m i386 -D /pub/release/i386 build

After one hour the build process ends with success, left a full release
in /pub/release/i386. :-)
So far so good. But now the problem:

When I try to execute /pub/release/i386/bin/ls (for example) the shell
say's:

ls: Exec Format error. Wrong Architecture

This happens with all executables

When I do the build without the "m" switch (auto architecture detection)
it's the same. So I'am afraid to install something from this build,
cause it could crash my system. Can you tell me what I'am doing wrong?
Why I can't execute the binarys from this build?

- oliver

--
Oliver Egginger <Oliver.Egginger@dvz.fh-giessen.de>
Fachhochschule Giessen-Friedberg