Subject: OSS-Trouble
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon@gmx.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/21/2003 11:39:37

Hello everybody,

I just installed NetBSD-1.6 on my machine yesterday (Pentium III 450, 256MB
RAM, 2x~30GB HDD, BT878-tv-tuner-card, Creative Soundblaster 128 PCI). So far
things - mostly - work, I do have one problem, however:

I recompiled my kernel (noting with a bit of surprise it did work right
away...) with support for my tv-card and my sound-card included in the
config-file as follows:

# PCI audio devices
eap*    at pci? dev ? function ?        # Ensoniq AudioPCI
audio*  at eap?
midi*   at eap?                 # 137[01] MIDI port

# TV cards

# Brooktree 848/849/878/879 based TV cards
bktr* at pci? dev ? function ?

As I said, the kernel compiled without errors, boots really fine and
essentially works. Both the soundcard and the tv-card are recognized at
startup:
## excerpt from /var/run/dmesg.boot
eap0 at pci0 dev 9 function 0: Ensoniq AudioPCI 97 (rev. 0x08)
eap0: interrupting at irq 5
eap0: SigmaTel STAC9721/23 codec; 18 bit DAC, 18 bit ADC, SigmaTel 3D
audio0 at eap0: full duplex, mmap, independent
midi0 at eap0: AudioPCI MIDI UART
bktr0 at pci0 dev 10 function 0
bktr0: interrupting at irq 9
bktr0: Hauppauge Model 38104 B208
bktr0: Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips PAL I tuner.
Brooktree product 0x0878 (miscellaneous multimedia, revision 0x02) at pci0
dev 10 function 1 not configured
##

And this is where things get complicated: I installed xmms-1.2.7 from
package, and it just won't work, no matter if executed with or without root
privileges. I mean, it starts up normally but freezes the very moment I press
"play", giving an error message saying it was unable to detect an
oss-audio-driver.
mpg123, on the other hand, works just fine. gMix works, too.

Furthermore, xawtv-3.88 refuses to compile, complaining about missing oss,
too. This appears even weirder to me, since xawtv isn't supposed to play
around with sound - the tv-card's output is directed to the sound-card's
line-in via an external cable. Is there some way to disable this or to get
xawtv to compile correctly?

Or have I forgotten to include some config-stuff in the kernel?

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Benjamin

- --