Subject: Re: Compact Flash Install
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Stefan Schumacher <stefan@net-tex.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/16/2003 22:35:27
--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

* der Mouse (mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA) wrote:
> > Find an ide to compact flash adapter.  They're around and cost
> > $10-30.  Compact flash's regular interface is very close,
> > (identical?), to IDE to begin with so the "adapter" is really just
> > traces on a board and a couple of connectors.

Usually a CF has 3 modes, one mode is "true-IDE" (pin 9 is set to gnd)=20
where the CF behaves like a IDE drive

> > Once you plug it in, it looks like a disk drive to the bios and to
> > netbsd.  From there, you just load it as you would a regular disk
> > drive.

Yipp.

> That's been my experience.  I've never tried booting off one,=20

Me to, but it should work great.

> but I did
> once end up with a cheap digital camera that wrote its pictures to CF.
> I found a website (something that looked authoritative, a name along
> the lines of compactflash.org) that said the interface was electrically
> identical to IDE-on-PCMCIA.  I got an adapter (which was cheap, not
> surprising if it's just two connectors, some wiring, and a housing) and

Once I built a CF-IDE adaptor for myself to use a CF as IDE drive,=20
it consisted of 2 resistors, 2 capacitors, a LED, 2 connectors and a=20
circuit board.=20

It's useful to download photos from CF but not hot pluggable.

--
When she embraces  / Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone=20

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS--