Subject: Re: Bootable root on raidframe
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/06/2003 10:02:57
> Do you mean to have "disklabel" calculate the number of partitions?
> If so, then I agree. I think "d_npartitions" in the disklabel struct
> serves some purpose (to limit the size of the label, and keep garbage
> in the binary label from being parsed), so it's nice to be able to
> view it, but it makes no sense to have to specify it.

I'd go for d_npartitions meaning 'the number of slots available
where this disklabel is stored.  Unfortunately that isn't the case :-(
It is used as (rather useless) 'current upper bound to the number
of valid entries'.

The problem is that MI code can scan a disk (looking in likely places)
until it finds a disklabel.  But it can't add a partition because
it doesn't know whether it has found an 8 entry or 16 entry label,
all it has is the number of defined partitions.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk