Subject: Re: Bootable root on raidframe
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/05/2003 20:49:24
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Simon Burge wrote:

> Matthias Buelow wrote:
>
> > >"4" only goes up "d". You need to increase that to at least "5".
> >
> > This issue has bitten me several times over the years (now I'm
> > trained to do the first change I make to a label on that line,
> > like a Pavlovian dog).  Wouldn't it be beneficial to make disklabel
> > set this value to 8 or 16, or what is supported by default?
>
> Or ignore the "N partitions" line altogether?  I can't think of
> any good reason to keep it...

Do you mean to have "disklabel" calculate the number of partitions?
If so, then I agree. I think "d_npartitions" in the disklabel struct
serves some purpose (to limit the size of the label, and keep garbage
in the binary label from being parsed), so it's nice to be able to
view it, but it makes no sense to have to specify it.

Frederick