Subject: Re: dualbooting WinXP with NetBSD
To: felix zaslavskiy <felix@students.poly.edu>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/04/2003 08:13:04
> > > WinXP start to load and then goes to a blue screen and the mouse appears
> > > with teh Windows Logo and then nothing it just sits there does not go
> > > into the login screen.

> Partition table:
> 0: Primary DOS with 32 bit FAT - LBA (sysid 12)
>     bootmenu: Windows
>     start 63, size 40965687 (20003 MB, Cyls 0/1/1-2550), Active
>         beg: cylinder    0, head   1, sector  1
>         end: cylinder 1022, head 254, sector 63

I have this feeling that the CHS values used for sector numbers beyond
the CHS limit were different before I rewrote that part of fdisk!
(I'm fairly certain cylinder was 1023, but I'm not sure about head...)

I put in the values for 'the last sector addressable using CHS',
it is possible the values should just be ~0.

I'm not sure what M$ (etc) does when the bios reports geometries
other than 1023/255/63.

You could try running fdisk -v, editing partition 0, and when it asks:
	Explicitly specify beg/end address?
say Y and put in 1023, 255, 64 for the end address.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk