Subject: Re: hung virtual console after X lockup
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/20/2003 22:00:03
>> I've got two users logged in, running X on different virtual consoles
>> on a 1.6[.1ish] box.  Normally works like a champ - Ctrl-Alt-F*
>> to switch from one to another.
>>
>> However twice now, when switching, the target XFree86 gets itself into
>> a loop and kill -9 is the only option it seems.

>How, exactly, do you start X and what's the content of your /etc/wscons.conf?
>BTW, what graphics card and X server do you use?

First session - just "startx"
Second, login to vt02 and run (IIRC):

startx -- :2 vt02

wscons.conf is untouched from 1.6 distribution.

Card is  ATI Technologies 3D Rage Pro (AGP),
X server is:
XFree86 Version 4.2.0 / X Window System
Release Date: 23 January 2002

As I mentioned, this all works fine for months at a time, but twice now
I've had to reboot the box to recover from this.

I'm now running xdm to see if that helps...

--sjg