Subject: Re: Static from speakers
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/15/2003 19:44:38
In message <Pine.SGI.4.51.0307151709530.4387797@guinness.cs.stevens-tech.edu>,
Yasir Malik writes:
>When I am working on NetBSD, sometimes a wierd static sound comes from my
>speakers.  First it sounds as though something is burying in my laptop,
>then the sound turns into continuous static--almost like a soft waterfall.
>This does not happen all the time when I am using NetBSD, but it does not
>happen on my Windows partition.

Curiously, I have the exact opposite problem.  When my ThinkPad is booted
to Windows, my stereo emits static.

Note that this is not the laptop's speakers, and it has nothing to do with
the input source on the stereo.  I'm guessing it's interference caused by the
laptop being only a few inches above the stereo, and that it has to do with
some way in which Windows is tickling the Intel SpeedStep magic.

-s