Subject: Re: Boot Sequence, partitions, labels, etc.
To: None <ianzag@megasignal.com>
From: K. Richard Pixley <K.Richard.Pixley@nominum.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/15/2003 12:29:59
Thank you for your response!

Ian Zagorskih wrote:
> Technically, you can create up to four disklabels into one MBR so there can be
> several disklabels on one hard disk. Even more if you put disklabels into
> extended partitions.
>
> Last time i checked mbrlabel code (i386/1.6.1) i found that it cares about
> disklabels inside extended partitions. So in general you may have more then
> one disklabel on hdd with one "primary" inside master MBR partition and
> several "slave" inside one or more extended partitions.

Is disklabel(8) capable of putting a disklabel on anything other than
the first netbsd slice?

I tried using other bsd partitions to refer to other dos slices but it
seems as though "disklabel [-r] /dev/rwd0?" will always write it's label
to the same place.  That is, "disklabel /dev/rwd0e" appears to be the
same label as "disklabel /dev/rwd0f".

--rich