Subject: Re: Graphich card
To: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
From: Vit Herman <dragon@penguin.cz>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/06/2003 17:17:22
On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Harry Waddell wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 10:21:19 +0200 (CEST)
> Vit Herman <dragon@penguin.cz> wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Harry Waddell wrote:

> > > The radeon 9200 is not supported by Xfree86 4.3.0.
> > > The radeon 8500 is a very good card, costs less, and will perform quite
> > > nicely.
> > >
> > > If you want to do extreme gaming, the fire GL X1 might work better,
> > > but it should cost a lot more. If you just ned really nice graphics,
> > > stick with the 8500. If building a silent PC, consider the 7000 or 9000
> > > models which do not need a fan for the GPU, but are both slower than the
> > > radeon 8500.
> > >

> > Pitty. No local dealer currently has 8500 on stock and the same with other
> > models. I could get 9000PRO but for almost the same price
> > with only 64MB.
>
> Do you actually need more than 64MB of memory? If you must have extra
> memory, try the radeon 9700 or 9500 Pro with 128MB ram.
>

> > Will 9200 work in unaccelerated mode?
>
> I would expect it does, using the vesa driver, but I haven't tested it. The
> 9200 is supported in XFree86 4.3.99.7, so if you don't mind taking a chance
> on failure, you can use cvs to compile XFree86 current yourself. I wouldn't
> recommend it though. xfree86 current works fine for me with some things, but
> core dumps with others that is supposedly supports, e.g. radeon mobility
> 320M.
Well, I don't need any sexy-graphics under NetBSD. there's nothing I need
so urgently that I couldn't wait for next Xfree86 release. I wan't to do
some gaming under Windoze (don't blame me for that) and my young brother
is gonna use the computer sometimes - for gaming. I will just do usual
work under NetBSD - TeX, Mozilla and stuff like that so I think the vesa
driver will be enough. 9500 and 9700 are too expensive for me. I think I
can live with it for some time (until next X release) as long as it works
unaccelerated with vesa driver. Anyway, thanks a lot

Vit Herman
dragon@penguin.cz
2:423/47.20