Subject: Re: Graphich card
To: Vit Herman <dragon@penguin.cz>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/04/2003 15:12:23
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 20:48:40 +0200 (CEST)
Vit Herman <dragon@penguin.cz> wrote:

> HI folks
>
> I'm gonna buy a new computer and I'm not sure what graphic card to buy. I
> would like to have ATI Radeon 9200, is it supported? If not, which one
> one would do better?
>
> Thanks
> Vitek
> dragon@penguin.cz

The radeon 9200 is not supported by Xfree86 4.3.0.
The radeon 8500 is a very good card, costs less, and will perform quite
nicely.

If you want to do extreme gaming, the fire GL X1 might work better,
but it should cost a lot more. If you just ned really nice graphics, stick
with the 8500. If building a silent PC, consider the 7000 or 9000 models
which do not need a fan for the GPU, but are both slower than the radeon
8500.

You can consult

http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/4.3.0/radeon.4.html

for more information. Also, tomshardeware.com has some interesting
benchmarks, but they are almost all done under windows. The lunatic fringe
video cards are very dependent on having optimized drivers, so there is
really only a loose corralation between the benchmarks for the newest cards
and what you'd see runing XFree86 4.3.0.

----
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing