Subject: Dell Inspiron 8200: tty00 probs
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/25/2003 16:46:51
G'day,

I've a Dell Inspiron 8200 on which NetBSD-current is installed that
appears to give me a hard time. An application that has been tested
working on several NetBSD desktops fails on this laptop with what
appears a blocked serial device. Sofar I like to exclude the possibility
of a hardware problem since it works with applications under WinXP.

Is there a known problem with the serial port device on this particular
hardware. What can I do to determine where the fault. The fault can be
reproduced using the following kermit session:

# kermit
C-Kermit 8.0.209, 17 Mar 2003, for NetBSD
 Copyright (C) 1985, 2003,
 Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
Type ? or HELP for help.
(/root/) C-Kermit>set line /dev/tty00
(/root/) C-Kermit>set  flow none
(/root/) C-Kermit>set carrier-watch off
(/root/) C-Kermit>c
Connecting to /dev/tty00, speed 9600
 Escape character: Ctrl-\ (ASCII 28, FS): enabled
Type the escape character followed by C to get back,
or followed by ? to see other options.

Closing /dev/tty00...ttclos() timeout: reset
OK
#

The LED status lights on the RS232 breakout box show the required changes
when connecting to the device. When sending data, no data appears to be
sent. On disconnect, the device cannot be reset and stays the way it was
until next reboot.

Any ideas? Is there someone out there with a Inspiron 8200 who
is kind enought in trying to reproduce this problem?

Sysinfo: Dell Inspiron 8200 and NetBSD-1.6.1 and NetBSD-current.

cheerio Berndt