Subject: Re: Newbies and perhasp stupid questions
To: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/20/2003 16:54:28
On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:13:21 +0100 (BST)
Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Harry Waddell wrote:
>
> > > Yes, but my machine is too old to have USB, so I use a
> >
> > the pci and pcmcia usb cards all work fine for me, even the usb 2.0
> > cards.
>
> ah..  do you in fact know of a pcmcia (16-bit) card providing USB?  The
> only ones have found are cardbus (32-bit) and wont work on my old
> machine..
>
> iain

That must be a really old machine! No, I don't think any 16bit usb cards
exist. Even if they did, netbsd expects the ohci device to be attached to
the cardbus, so you'd have to do some hacking to get it to work.

If your pc is that "vintage", the pcmcia smart media adapter is
definately the right way to go. The olympus adapter is about $60 US  last I
checked and worked fine for me since a while before usb was even an option.

I did a quick search and found a product called:

Dazzle 4-in-1 PC Card Adapter

for about $50 which reads SM, SD, MMC and memory stick, but I have no idea
if it works or not.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing