Subject: Re: DHCP and X problems
To: Yasir Malik <ymalik@cs.stevens-tech.edu>
From: Sean J. Schluntz <schluntz@workofstone.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/14/2003 23:19:40
On Friday, June 13, 2003, at 12:06  PM, Yasir Malik wrote:

> I set up DHCP, but when I boot up when my computer is not connected
> the campus network, X does not start up properly.  The
> X mouse and the gray screen come up.  I can cannot open the menu or do
> anything, and I have to go back to the console.  Everything works fine
> when I boot up with my compuer connected to the campus network.
> Yasir

I had a problem similar to this for a while which my laptop, X would
get confused because the hostname stuff would change.  I found that by
attaching the name I wanted the box to be known by to the loopback
adapter the problem went away.  The 'true' interfaces could change as
often as they wanted, and it didn't affect X.

-Sean