Subject: Re: localization (was Re: HD Tuning)
To: Scott Zahn <scott@xeroxparc.net>
From: Vit Herman <dragon@penguin.cz>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/07/2003 12:39:59
On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Scott Zahn wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Vit Herman wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >
> > PS: Just one think is unpleasant - localization. I'm czech (so I beg
> > pardon of native-speakers of English) and it's very important for me to be
> > able to write (not only read) czech at console.
> >

> This reminds me of something I was thinking about a while ago.  How do
> non-english speaking people learn to remember unix commands?  Most unix
> commands are abbreviated english words.  So if someone knows no english at
> all, how do they learn unix commands?  Rote memorization?  That seems like
> it would be extra difficult.  Sorry if this post is way off topic, it's
> just something that I've wondered about for a long time, but don't have
> any non-english speaking unix friends to ask.  Could someone on this list
> tell me?

If you can do something about localization of wscons, you will make a
non-english speaking unix friend for the rest of your life :)) Back to
topic: I've begun working with computers at ago of 7 (Some 8-bit Amstrad)
and at age of 8 I started to learn DOS. I'm gifted a bit in languages
(after my father) so I was learning english together with learning the
commands. IMHO this is the best way to learn english. Six years ago, when
I was 11, I started unix. I had had relatively good english knowledge
before I installed my first Slackware and it have improved a lot since
these times. All those man pages, HOWTOs and sources I had to read taught
me a lot. Now I'm 17 I don't have problems in reading english books and
common english conversation. all this thanks to computers. I you find the
above a bit off-topic, I'm sorry, but I wanted to show that when you learn
unix or any other OS, you have no problems even when you don't speak
english - actually you learn more and more english with every command.

Anyway, if somebody can tell me where to start with localization or if
there's anybody working on it, I would be very pleased.

I hope my english was good enough for everybody to understand what I
wanted to express.

Vitek