Subject: Re: Trouble configuring DHCP
To: Yasir Malik <ymalik@cs.stevens-tech.edu>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/07/2003 10:49:42
At 06:05 PM 6/6/2003 -0400, Yasir Malik wrote:
>I want to connect my laptop to the campus network, but I am having trouble
>configuring the DHCP client.  What I have changed is what was asked in
>http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/dhcp.html#configure_dhcp
>
>The output after running '/etc/rc.d/dhclient restart' is attached.  When I
>type 'ssh ymalik@guinness.cs.stevens-tech.edu', which is what I use to
>connect to my account when I am at home, I get the following output:
>'ssh: attila.stevens-tech.edu: No address associated with hostname'.
>
>Which means that DHCP has not been configured yet.

No, it doesn't mean that. It means that whatever nameserver your system is
configured to use can't find an IP address associated with the name you
gave (or maybe that nameserver isn't responding at all). Look in
/etc/resolv.conf to see what DNS server you're using.

According to your output log, dhclient did get started properly and leased
an IP address from the dhcp server. Possibly you ended up with DNS server
set to 127.0.0.1 (as is indicated in the lease that you put in your
dhclient.conf - I didn't even know that could be done (nor do I see why
anyone would have recommended it)!)

You really shouldn't need *anything* in dhclient.conf to have dhcp work in
a standard configuration. I'd bet that just leaving it empty and restarting
will give you a working system.

If you really want to override things like your hostname and dns server,
use the "supersede" commands in dhcpd.conf (it seems to me that the
documentation page you used as reference is quite a bit out of date - I'd
never heard of putting a complete lease in the .conf file before; does that
really work?).

For example, if you want to hardcode use of the DNS server at 10.0.0.1, set
the default domain name used by your system to bopper.org, and your
hostname to "big.bopper.org", your dhclient.conf would contain the following:

   supersede domain-name-servers 10.0.0.1;
   supersede domain-name "bopper.org";
   supersede host-name "big.bopper.org";

But of course as I previously said, you probably don't need *anything* in
dhclient.conf. Just set dhclient_flags="fxp0" and "dhclient=YES in rc.conf,
and do /etc/rc.d/dhclient restart.

>rc.conf and dhclient.conf is also attached.
>Is there anything else I need to add to the files?

No. Take things out! ;-)