Subject: Re: HD Tuning
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Video Mike <mike@cpdist.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/06/2003 03:28:16
Dear NetBSD,

It is nice to be able to use a computer and depend on it.  I have
installed several NetBSD servers in the business world and can
happily report many months of uptime on most.  A few of them have
only days of uptime due to upgrading from V1.5.2 to V1.6.1 and
occasional power outages.  It is a very nice thing to see this
dependability as well as the excellent I/O performance that this
OS provides.  I have done only minor tweaking to the kernels for
out-of-the-ordinary network options and for inserting the dummy
NOP's and ripping out the software math support.  No disk I/O
tweaking was ever required. The intention of my comment is not to
bad mouth Linux or any other OS, but, I believe a word of
encouragment is necessary to the developers and support gurus
of NetBSD for their incredible effort in this time-proven operating
system.  I have had experiences installing Linux and simply prefer
the way NetBSD sets up and performs hardware polling with such
minimal tweaking.  I think that the prior flames against NetBSD are
unwarranted. Any flaming against NetBSD is a waste of space and
time.  There are reasons why many Linux users have migrated to
the BSD's and further flaming isn't going to convince them to move
back. Linux is not UNIX anyway. Linux is Linux and apples are not
oranges.

--Video Mike--