Subject: Re: bootblocks with wd1a:netbsd ?
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/05/2003 17:18:03
On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 04:11:26PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> As a result of making a computer a windoze free zone, NetBSD starts at the
> beginning of a disk with wd1h rather than wd1a. I have installed biosboot.sym
> at wd1h, but now of course the bootblocks look by default for wd1h:netbsd
> rather than wd1a:netbsd. Is there a way of teaching them were to look by
> default?

The netbsd root filesystem has to be at the start of the bios partition
that you boot from, otherwise things just don't work!

So if, as I suspect, you have 'given' the space (at the start of the
disk) that used to be a window partition to netbsd and made it wd1h in
the netbsd label and also changed the bios label to have a single
netbsd partition covering the whole disk then you can't actually
boot that volume using a default boot.

- install the boot code into wd1a (at the start of the disk) with a
  custom kernel.
- Keep two bios partitions, and boot from the one that points to
  your root filesystem.  The netbsd disklabel will be taken the first
  netbsd partition (you must have managed to move it!).

For a more precise answer I need to know the output of fdisk and
disklabel.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk