Subject: Re: libpng and g++
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/05/2003 01:10:06
--=.VGrZQlt/)vt/1n

Yasir Malik <ymalik@cs.stevens-tech.edu> wrote:

> When I am installing libpng-1.2.5, I get the following errors when
> running make install when using makefile.netbsd as my makefile

Any reason you didn't use pkgsrc (graphics/png)?

> install -c -r -o root -g wheel -m 444 -a "ranlib -t" libpng_p.a
> /usr/local/lib/libpng_p.a install: libpng_p.a: stat: No such file or
> directory*** Error code 1

Installing libpng is somewhat work intensive. I wouldn't use the
shipped makefiles without modifying them. So that's what pkgsrc
is for. You don't have to reinvent the wheel and there isn't
enough time to explain everything to everyone.

> When I ran the program in NetBSD using g++, it
> took 25 minutes to complete.  In Borland C++ 5.5 on Win2000, the same
> program took 2 minutes.  Why is there such an obscene difference?

Use -pg for gcc and gprof will be your friend.

--
Christian

--=.VGrZQlt/)vt/1n

--=.VGrZQlt/)vt/1n--