Subject: Re: hd tuning
To: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/04/2003 19:50:26
> > What bandwith to the Internet?   If its less than 100Mbps or so, the
>
> Presently there are two connections to the main campus through which we
> pass to get to the Internet.  One is an old "telephone" line running at
> 56Kbps, and the other is a light fiber cable at (I think) 256Mbps.  AFAIK,

256Mbps?!?!?!

what media use such a speed??!

ATM is 155 or 622, ethernet is 100 or 1000.

> the old line is used only for non-proxied http/ftp and to bring in the
> mail spool.  The internal LAN is 10base5, but will be upgraded, at least
> on some segments, to 100Mbps in September.

it's strange to have local network slower than outside connection.

or is it 256kbps?!

for 256kbps link 386DX works right as a router.

486/133 with 3GB drive,32MB RAM works right as complete server with such
speed (it actually works with dual ISDN - 128k and is underloaded)