Subject: Re: hd tuning
To: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/03/2003 10:36:23
> > > It ran NetBSD 1.5 and routed multiple Terabytes of IPv6 traffic during
>
> I've been asked to advise our school on what would be needed (no sluggishness
> and no crashes) to run a dedicated ipfilter/nat machine on a LAN to which
> about 1000 PCs are connected.  At maximum, 400 PCs would be accessing the
> Internet within a narrow time window.  Anyone willing to share their
> experiences with a LAN of that scale?  I've only done small-time stuff and
> have no idea how to extrapolate the cpu/memory from 486DX/20MB for 2 PCs
> and a webserver to a whole organization.  On or off list fine.  (Apologize

think about traffic not amount of machines.

i have 100 people traffic using celeron 1200 machine with 512MB RAM, doing
everything needed (DHCP, w3cache, SMTP+POP3, telnet/ssh, nntpcache,
apache).

machine has 1% CPU load average and 2-3% disk load average (single 7200
barracuda ATA).

connection is now 2Mb/s

for routing/NAT only 486DX/20 is enough to route 10Mb/s with NAT/ipfilter.