Subject: Startup guide for writting custom drivers for NetBSD/i.386
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/03/2003 02:16:53
Hello All,

I have choosen some time ago NetBSD v1.6.1 i386 as a platform for our emb=
edded=20
systems. Prior it was QNX 4.25.

I have several custom ISA boards [BITBUS, CANBUS, DSP] for which i need t=
o=20
write drivers. Actually, well tested QNX4 code for this drivers already=20
exists so i just need to port it [at least i hope so].

Please, can you suggest me where to start ? Actually, i would be happy wi=
th=20
some "drivers cook-book" or smth like this.

Sure i have a nice UNIX internals book which describes different types of=
=20
devices and so so on. It's clean. Just i'm bit confused how to apply this=
=20
general knowledge to the existing OS as NetBSD. It seems to me to be "a b=
it"=20
more complicated as it's described in the book :)

Just get me right, i have lot enough of experience in designing different=
=20
hardware frameworks for exanple for QNX4/6 OSes, but they are MicroKernel=
 and=20
BSD isn't fit well in this scheme. I just want to start at some point :)

Thank you.

ps: sorry for my English, that's not mine native speaking language.

// wbr