Subject: Re: Good wireless card
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/01/2003 22:18:35
In message <v6r86d1oco.fsf@kechara.flame.org>, you write:

-> buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org (Brian Buhrow) writes:
->
-> > 	I've had very good success with the Linksys WPC11 line of cards.
-> > these work with the wi(4) driver, and use the Intersyl prism II or III
-> > chipset.  I've used the Version1, 2, 2.5 and 3 cards.
-> > the newer cards are quite good in terms of their range, the older cards
-> > less so.
->
-> I've tried linksys and dlink and others, but I always end up going
-> back to the Lucent (aka Avaya aka Proxim) gold cards.

It's probably worth paying attention to range/power as well as whether
the cards are likely to work under NetBSD.  My Lucent Orinoco Gold is
much better at not dropping the signal in marginal conditions, whereas
the ADMTek-based DLink DWL-650 (which doesn't yet have a NetBSD driver,
but has one under development) occasionally loses synch even in spots
where it claims to get 100% signal strength/quality.

I've heard that there are cards which have seriously beefy radion on-
board (though can't recall which), so if that's an issue it would be
worth looking into that more...

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill