Subject: Re: hd tuning
To: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/01/2003 14:21:50
Micha=B3 Pasternak wrote:
> Benchmarks? What benchmarks are you talking about?! IMVHO you should at
> least _try_ to run Linux on your hardware. NetBSD on my laptop (i1200 ser=
ies
> Thinkpad) was lagging slow, hopefully Linux makes it fly. I can _feel_ it.

Have you tried NetBSD ever since UBC went in in 1.6? That improves
responsiveness of the system a lot. FFS soft-dependecies
improve performace of some types of operations too, while still
beeing much safer than totally async ext2.

> Benchmarks... what specific benchmarks do you mean? I could run them, no
> problem. What benchmarks? Compilation time? PHP performance? PostgreSQL
> queries per second? I am afwully sure Linux would outperform NetBSD in
> performance in all these areas.

I'm not that sure. That's what benchmarks are for :)
=20
> I _am_ pro-BSD guy, I know NetBSD superiority to Linux/FreeBSD in many
> areas... but please, don't say "NetBSD has better approach to hardware,
> than Linux", because it's _not_ true.

NetBSD _does_ have better approach to hardware than Linux.

Jaromir
--=20
-=3D- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the tantric    -=
=3D-
-=3D- Buddhist masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you -=
=3D-
-=3D- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''     -=
=3D-