Subject: Re: sys/arch/i386/stand/biosboot_com0_19200?
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/29/2003 17:12:20
On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 12:39:23AM +0100, David Laight wrote:

> > Also, it wasn't clear that I needed to copy /usr/mdec/biosboot to /boot.
> > I had a /boot from a day or so earlier that was from biosboot_com0.sym, and
> > after running the installboot my box wouldn't boot.  It was complaining
> > that /boot was the "wrong format" or something like that.
>
> Better than blindly executing it...

Yes it was good that it failed since my bios is setup to pxeboot if the
hard drive doesn't boot.

> I'll think about that one, instalboot doesn't do that for any other
> architecture.

Well, I can understand not putting hacks in for one arch, but since
installboot already has to know about i386 specifically, I don't see why
an extra check for the sanity of /boot would hurt.

At the very minimum the man page needs updating since it says to copy
boot.MACHINE to /boot.

> I've not looked at pxeboot, really needs building from the new sources.
> (but I can't test it)

It builds and works from the latest -current as of this morning.
The issue with 'quit' has been there forever, netboot had it also.

I'll  try to remember to look into making a reset on quit patch.

-Andrew