Subject: Re: mbr vs WinNT/Win2K boot system
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Geoff Wing <gcw@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/16/2003 18:19:38
David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> typed:
:> Using the new bootstrap system: with pbr.S 1.3, my partition table patch
:> and a judicious "movb $0x82, %dl", it boots my overloaded MBR/PBR fine from
:> my SCSI system (with hd2a: which later becomes sd3a: after bootup)
:Does that mean that the NTLDR code isn't setting %dl up correctly
:when it enters the netbsd bootstrap code?

That's not the job of ntldr.  The way you boot a NetBSD system via
the ntldr code is to write the MBR bootstrap of the NetBSD disk to
a file on the WinNT/Win2K file system (e.g C:\netbsd.dat), then you
load that file via the ntldr menu system.  The MBR code has to set
the drive - ntldr has no idea what disk it came from.  When you
reach the PBR boot stage the drive is obviously set correctly.  I
only needed it set since, as I mentioned, I overlap the MBR & PBR
(though I originally wasn't for my SCSI system).

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing : <gcw@pobox.com>
Rxvt Stuff : <gcw@rxvt.org>