Subject: Re: mbr vs WinNT/Win2K boot system
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Wing <gcw@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/15/2003 12:57:11
David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> typed:
:On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 03:33:25PM +0000, Geoff Wing wrote:
:> NetBSD boots via Win2K boot menu.  I've just tried updating my 2.13 boot &
:> modified SCSI disk2 MBR (sets to boot from 0x82) to 2.16 (from -current).
:> Didn't work.  Even with "dev hd2a:", "ls" or "boot" don't work.

:So you are managing to get the boot code loaded?
:That is 90% of the battle!
:At least there is space in that code to add diagnostics!

Actually, I also had NetBSD part starting at sector 63 with 2.13 and the 2,16
HD bootstrap wouldn't have a bar of it.  I copied out my root, changed the
disklabel to start at sector 0, newfs'd, copied in my root, installboot'ed
and resaved the Win2K mbr boot file.  That's how I got the stage 1 loading.

:> However, booting from floppy from the same -current distribution,
:> "dev hd2a:" and stuff works.

:That ought to be (almost) the same code :-(

Yes, that's why I mentioned it.  That's why I was thinking that somehow
the ntldr was clashing with, say, "Move 16bit %ss to allow >64k ..."
Or maybe I'm totally on the wrong track.

:It might, you could just try it and see.  Everything is built.
:All you need to do is:
:# /sbin/installboot /dev/rsd2d /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1
:# cp /usr/mdec/biosboot /boot

Well, given this is the way of the future, I would say it's better I try
to get this working though I probably won't get to do this before the
weekend.

Regards,
Geoff