Subject: Re: Long sharp beep
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/14/2003 13:11:24
On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 05:16:01PM -0400, Yasir Malik wrote:
> Thank you for replying.  Nothing is written in file temp when I do
> startx > temp.  When I boot up, I am at a regular dummy terminal, and
> I have to type startx to enter X.  I don't know if this will help, but
> while the beep is continuing, the cursor is flashing really fast.  The
> beep goes on forever until I type exit.

I had this happen to me too last night.  no X was involved.  I was able
to get into the debugger, but couldn't pull anything useful out of it.
unplugging the keyboard stopped the beeping and cursor flashing,
replugging it continued.  all the lock keys (caps, scroll, and num)
worked as expected, and scroll lock even paused the output of the screen
and stopped the flashing and beeping.

if it does it again I'll try and force a coredump...

      "It's not fast, but why not?"  --  John Klos on VAX dnet client
  "because it needlessly contributes to global warming?"  --  Paul Vixie