Subject: Re: Asus A7V8X
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/08/2003 16:53:26
On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 09:00:12AM +0000, Frank Kardel wrote:
> Tom Javen wrote:
>
> >Audio works fine.
> >Ethernet (10/100) and usb does not.
>
> My research (for making a decision to buy such a board)
> so far has turned out that the board can also be delivered with the gigabit
> network option. The board with 10/100/1000 LAN uses the Broadcom 5702
> chip which seems to be supported
> by the bge driver. The 10/100 board has some Broadcom 4402 chip that is
> not supported
> in the NetBSD code base right now.

As if by magic, a student with a network problem just appeared with a laptop
which apparently has a Broadcom 440x in it (according to XP). I take it we
have the relevant string in pcidevs, but not actually a driver for it?
I found what appears to be GPL'd source code for a linux driver for it,
which I suppose could be used as a spec.. (Is one allowed to read it?)

(The network problem was NetBSD(my laptop) & XP(her laptop) clients
get dhcp replies from a NetBSD dhcpd via an HP2424M switch, but
only the NetBSD client manages via a 3COM 3300XM - I wanted to run
NetBSD on her laptop..)

Patrick