Subject: Re: Soekris
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.embedtronics.fi>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/08/2003 11:16:55
> 1. The boot delay (5-sec countdown before kernel load) does not work.
>    Soekris proceeds to load the kernel immediately, so we can't change
>    the name of the kernel that is loaded.

Clearly the bios doen't support the function used to implement that
timeout....

It could be changed to use a differnt bios call that is much more likely
to be supported - ie the read the 18.2 Hz counter.

If there is 'demand' I could do this.

> The Kingston CF cards failed to boot completely until we changed the
> NetBSD bootloader to read only one sector at a time off the CF.  Some
> other cards did not have this problem.  Both cards report that only
> one sector can be read/written per command and both cards work OK
> under NetBSD, so I don't know why the original bootloader didn't work
> with the Kingston card.

The CF card should support multple sector reads - regardless of the
number of sectors reported as supported in a single command.  That
is for a different feature where you can (IIRC) reduce the number of
interrupts by transferring the data in multi-sector busts.
It doesn't affect the ability to read more than one sector in a
normal ATA read command.

You could always try sending the CF card back as 'not working'!
We tried this with some that didn't return a correct 'drive identify'
response (some locked solid, others had a missing field) - they
just came back with a nice new FAT16 filesystem - which we didn't want!

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk