Subject: Re: nforce2 support
To: Tracy Di Marco White <netbsd@gendalia.org>
From: Soren Jacobsen <soren@blef.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/30/2003 13:36:18
On 04/30 15:12, Tracy Di Marco White wrote:
> My nforce2 board works great.  The 3com is not realtek, the 3com has a
> broadcom phy.  (Given I added the PCI ids, I'm fairly sure of it.)
> If you don't want to use current, you can force DMA mode with a flag,
> and it's no slower than using the correctly id'd ATA controller.
> I added support for my board a couple months ago, with some help from
> Jason Thorpe.  Of the not configured things, the only thing I'd like
> to use is the nvidia lan, but I have little hope of that working any
> time soon since last I checked the driver included things only available
> as an object file.

I am happy running current on that box, but it's nice to know that
forcing it into DMA would work. I'm sure people running releases would
be dying without that. But perhaps the changes you and Jason made should
be pulled up to netbsd-1-6.

There are two ethernet devices on boards with MCP-T chipsets. The 3com
has a broadcom PHY, as you say, but I have seen people hint at the
"nvidia lan" being a realtek. I only have MCP, so just the nvidia one.
Everything about it is really vague, so I may have misunderstood what
was being said when I heard that it was a realtek.

I also investigated that linux driver when I got the board. Perhaps it's
time to start sending complaints to nvidia.