Subject: Re: Building a Net4501 distribution
To: Andrea Rossignoli <software@polin.it>
From: Ossi Herrala <oherrala@ee.oulu.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/30/2003 13:17:19
On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 09:49:28AM +0200, Andrea Rossignoli wrote:

> I downloaded the current sources from ftp using anoncvs under /usr/src.
> Once downloaded I did:
>
> mkdir /usr/obj
> mkdir /usr/net4501
> cd /usr/src
> ./build.sh tools
> ( all was okay )
> ./build.sh kernel=NET4501
> ( all was okay )
> ./build.sh -U -D /usr/net4501 distribution
> ( the make will abort sometime, I'll have to check why and I'll post )
>
> Actually my question is:
> Am I following the right procedure ?

Yes. Look's like ok. But I'm used to have '-u' (update) parameter in
./build.sh commands after I have builded tools. I don't know if it's
needed but just in case so that build.sh doesn't try to remove anything or
build tools again.

> Did I miss some steps ?

No. I don't think so.

> When the last step will be okay ( distribution ),
> what have I to do ?

After you have builded distribution, you have almost working system in
/usr/net4501. Only thing you are missing is the kernel which need to be
copied there also.

(btw. why doesn't build.sh -D/path/destination kernel=<something> copy the
kernel to /path/destination/netbsd? It would be nice.)

Ok. You have full distribution with kernel. Now write disklabel to your media
(see disklabel(8)), make filesystem (see newfs(8)), copy everything to
your media and write a boot sector (see installboot(8)). I'm not sure if this
works with cf cards.

HTH.

--
Ossi Herrala, OH8HUB