Subject: Re: system running x11 locks up at vconsole switch & logout
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/24/2003 16:19:51
On 23 Apr 2003 14:40:00 -0500, Rich Neswold wrote:

> Wasn't it 22-Apr-2003, at 11:21PM, when Laine Stump said:
>> I recently brought up XFree (4.3.x) for the first time on my SGI 1600SW
>> monitor and Number Nine Revolution IV video card (it uses the "i128"
>> driver). When it runs, it runs fine, but it seems that the *2nd* time I
>> logout (or switch virtual consoles away from the X display) the system
>> locks up hard (doesn't respond to pings, keyboard is dead).
>
> My system does the exact same thing!
>
> For several years, it has been running FreeBSD as a workstation flawlessly.
> When I upgraded the machine to NetBSD 1.6, I started seeing these problems.
> I figured it had to do with XFree86 4.2.x (since my FreeBSD system was
> still running XFree86 3.3.6) I was hoping a newer version of XFree86 would
> fix the problem...

>> How did you fix it?
>
> I didn't. I simply tried to get in the habit of not switching to a virtual
> terminal. Since I'm the only one that uses the machine at home, I also
> leave myself logged-in on my X desktop. Both solutions are less than ideal,
> but work in my situation.
>
> Since the Revolution 3D card has very poor 3D abilities (by today's
> standards), I was planning on replacing the card.
>
> (To derail this thread a bit, has anyone had any positive or negative
> experiences with an AGP ATI Rage Pro 128 video card?)

misc/19449

-current doesn't appear to have as much of a problem, but it's
still there, and 1.6.1 still exhibits it. With -current, the console
display does the same strange video thing, but typically recovers
after a few seconds.

1.6.1 *appears* to do fine as long as the x session is started from
startx instead of xdm, but I haven't tried it enough to be more
certain.