Subject: Re: system running x11 locks up at vconsole switch & logout
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Rich Neswold <rneswold@earthlink.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/23/2003 12:27:00
--hcut4fGOf7Kh6EdG

Wasn't it 22-Apr-2003, at 11:21PM, when Laine Stump said:
> I recently brought up XFree (4.3.x) for the first time on my SGI 1600SW
> monitor and Number Nine Revolution IV video card (it uses the "i128"
> driver). When it runs, it runs fine, but it seems that the *2nd* time I
> logout (or switch virtual consoles away from the X display) the system
> locks up hard (doesn't respond to pings, keyboard is dead).

My system does the exact same thing!

For several years, it has been running FreeBSD as a workstation flawlessly.
When I upgraded the machine to NetBSD 1.6, I started seeing these problems.
I figured it had to do with XFree86 4.2.x (since my FreeBSD system was
still running XFree86 3.3.6) I was hoping a newer version of XFree86 would
fix the problem...

> How did you fix it?

I didn't. I simply tried to get in the habit of not switching to a virtual
terminal. Since I'm the only one that uses the machine at home, I also
leave myself logged-in on my X desktop. Both solutions are less than ideal,
but work in my situation.

Since the Revolution 3D card has very poor 3D abilities (by today's
standards), I was planning on replacing the card.

(To derail this thread a bit, has anyone had any positive or negative
experiences with an AGP ATI Rage Pro 128 video card?)

--=20
 Rich Neswold
=20
  icq: 174908475