Subject: system running x11 locks up at vconsole switch & logout
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/22/2003 23:21:51
I recently brought up XFree (4.3.x) for the first time on my SGI 1600SW
monitor and Number Nine Revolution IV video card (it uses the "i128"
driver). When it runs, it runs fine, but it seems that the *2nd* time I
logout (or switch virtual consoles away from the X display) the system
locks up hard (doesn't respond to pings, keyboard is dead). I did a google
search and found an XFree86 mailing list post from a couple years ago where
somebody said they eliminated the logout problem by adding:

	DisplayManager*resetSignal:     15

  to /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config.

(http://xfree86.desiato.de/xfree86/pipermail/xpert/2001-March/006636.html)

This doesn't help my logout lockups though (and obviously wouldn't help the
lockup when switching virtual consoles).

Has anybody else experienced this on their system? How did you fix it?

(Man, this machine has a bad average! So far the builtin ethernet and audio
don't work, and the video locks up the system. Good thing I'm just
tinkering around with it, and don't need to actually get anything done ;-)